What You Need for Class
What you need for class depends on your individual dog (and family!), but here is a general list, whether you have a private or group class coming up:
* A healthy, reasonably-exercised dog!
* Heavy-duty artillery! THAT means: SUPER treats! (i.e., meat, cheese, hot dog, soft dog treats.. preferably not dry dog biscuits.. What works in your living room doesn't always work amid all the distraction.
* 4 - 6 foot (or less) leash. Under 4 foot acceptable. NO FLEXI/EXTENDABLE LEASHES.
* Collar-type varies by dog. Make sure your dog's is securely-fitted with no chance of slippage. (Our shop is on a busy road.)***
***Check out The Prevalence of Prong Collars in the Training of Bully Breed Dogs... in Some Circles for more information on the prong collar (and the general use of aversives in training). Every dog is different, and we vary the equipment accordingly. If using a prong collar or another collar which can slip off or come apart we ask that you also have a way to secure the training collar to the flat collar your dog will be wearing. I.E a carabiner.
* Possibly a dog backpack; this is NOT a requirement. See our dog blog What's the Deal with Dog Back Packs: 2nd Addition with New Links & Commentary for more info on this amazing piece of equipment!
* Most importantly, a "can-do" attitude!
* Regardless of collar or harness type, it MUST be securely fitted with NO chance of it slipping.